Wednesday, January 13, 2016

You Can Date Boys When you're Forty

You Can Date Boys When
You're Forty
Author: Dave Barry
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
ISBN: 978-1-101-63149-2
This particular Dave Barry compilation was an interesting one, but it was probably not the best one that I have read so far. There was a lot of parent-y advice, which, quite frankly, is out of my understanding, since I am not there yet.

However, that was mostly the middle of the book, and the beginning and the end were quite solid. There were a few references that I even understood, including Dave Barry's take on "Beiber Fever" and his opinions of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and (I can't swear to this one) there might have been a brief mention of the Twilight series, but again, I might be thinking of 'I'll Mature When I'm Dead.' 

Possibly my favorite part of the book was towards the end, when he talked about his trip to the middle east, and all of the goings-on during the time he spent there. He talked in great detail about camel riding, the four different religious corners of Jerusalem, as well as other different expeditions through various biblical-historic sites.

One specific thing I noticed was that Dave Barry grew up as a W.A.S.P. Now, I have only heard this acronym once before, and that was during the movie 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding,' and they didn't exactly explain the acronym there, either. Well, naturally, I was curious to find out what the crap the acronym meant, and according to Wikipedia, the acronym means "White Anglo-Saxon Protestant."  

Having learned this, it was like a "DUH!" bulb went off in my head, because even though up to that point I hadn't known this piece of information, once I learned the full meaning behind the acronym, it made complete sense. 

Would I consider reading this book again? That's something I have mixed feelings on. While I will admit that I would be intrigued to read it again sometime, I probably would not read it on the Kindle. From the three I have read thus far (including this one), I have noticed the he puts a lot of asterisk jokes in his books, and finding those on the Kindle (at least with the Fire) requires the user to skip several hundred pages ahead just to see the joke that the asterisk is referring to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment