Monday, February 1, 2016

The Underland Chronicles: Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

The Underland Chronicles:
Gregor and the Curse of the
Warmbloods
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
ISBN: 978-0-545-31797-9

This is the third book in the Underland Chronicles series. As I read it, it was actually almost as much of a downer as its predecessor, although I don't particularly remember crying at any point as compared to 'The Prophecy of Bane.' 

This one followed the development of a plague, the search for its cure, as well as the plague's cause and effect. Despite being a fantasy novel, the book felt as though it had a lot of biological warfare involved, especially with the tone its characters took in regards to finding a cure. 

This book also felt "movie-worthy" like its predecessor and there was a lot of detail, emotion, and adventure. I definitely felt the raw emotion that the characters depicted in this book and could definitely feel the empathy for all of the characters that contracted the plague and were helpless.

In all honesty, I can't say that I had a favorite/least favorite part of this book. I really appreciated the raw emotion the book had me feeling, especially with wondering if the infected plague victims would live or die. The fact that this book had some deaths of its major characters kept me riveted, albeit I was not in tears compared with Marley and Me--though I did come close to it at the end. 

Would I read this book again? I would definitely consider it. I am definitely interested in looking for the next book in the series, and I still have yet to read the very first one. When I am done with this franchise, I may even see if I can find a copy of 'The Hunger Games' for download via the OverDrive app on the Kindle Fire. That has been a life saver when it comes to finding books to read on the Kindle because I don't have to worry about spending any money on Amazon for content licenses, and it is also nice on a day where I am "snowed in" and cannot make it to an actual library.

All in all, this book kept a nice independent status by sticking to its own story and only hinting at other books in the franchise, making it a nice point to start at in case the person reading this review has not started a book in the series yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment