Friday, February 5, 2016

The Underland Chronicles: Gregor the Overlander

The Underland Chronicles
Gregor the Overlander
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic, Inc.
ISBN: 978-0-545-31793-1
Now that I have finally got around to finishing the first book in this series, I'm going to come out and say it: The book was good, but not the strongest in the series thus far.

It did have some good moments though. There was a lot of character setup and development that I didn't get in 'The Prophecy of Bane,' including Ares' first bond that preceded Gregor, and the revelation that Gregor's sister, Boots' real legal name is Margaret.  

It also still managed to, for the most part, maintain the "eighties adventure movie" feel that I have felt thus far from its sequels.

Unfortunately, it was also very slow moving during the middle part of the book, and I had to struggle to stay awake while reading part of it. That seems to be a trend with this particular franchise, but all in all, it's forgivable. In fact, I would probably be having a different rant right now, but still a rant if there were too much action happening in the book as well, so I'll just pick my battles right now and call the book "a nice balance of story and adventure."

Would I read this book again? Perhaps I would consider it. Much like the other two sequels in the series, I kept longing for a movie adaptation in the style of the eighties/nineties-era adventure genre. To my knowledge thus far, however, I have unfortunately not heard either one way or the other as to if this will happen or not. That still does not mean that I can get my hopes up, though.

I mostly read this book to get some background information on the events talked about in book two, and in that respect, the book did its job. All in all, though, (and I hate to admit it) the book as a whole can most likely be skipped if you're a newcomer in terms of starting the series. In fact, most of the books have done a good job of keeping their own independent story while only hinting at the other stories, thus not intertwining them to sway away new audiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment