Thursday, December 10, 2015

Console Wars

Console Wars
Author(s): Blake J. Harris
Seth Rogen (Foreword)
Evan Goldberg (Foreword)
Publisher:  Harper-Collins
ISBN: 978-0-227669-8
I read this book during the Fall 2014 semester for my Humanities class at Sinclair. Initially, this was not my first choice when I started it (I initially picked 'Final Jeopardy'--which turned out to be "more than I could chew"). However, as I got deeper into the novel, it became really interesting. 

Like most of the books I have been reading lately, this novel was pretty well balanced, and the writing style was easy to comprehend, to the point of when I wrote the book report for it, I compared it to somebody's assignment for the English Composition I class.

On another convenient note, when I read it that semester, it ended up not only being the book I picked for the Humanities grade, but I was also able to reference it in one of my assignments for the English Composition I class I was taking simultaneously. 

The book is a little biased towards the Sega side of the argument, but only because it goes into detail about the life of one of it's employees at the time, a man named Tom Kalinske. However, it also does give some details about Nintendo's side of the battle, not just in the role of video games, but also in other corporate and charitable affairs. Sega's non-video game business ended up being in Health and Education, especially in the battle against the AIDS virus, which was apparently quite serious for about thirty years before the dawn of the twenty-first century, whereas, Nintendo bought a stake in the Seattle Mariners' baseball team, in order to prevent them from being traded or sold to another owner or city. 

All in all, I would highly recommend this book to anyone without hesitation (especially because it helped me get an "A" in an entry-level college course!). On another note, I have heard there is a movie being made of the book as well, and I look forward to seeing what becomes of that news, especially whether or not it is as amazing as this book was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment