Sunday, December 13, 2015

History of the Millennium (So Far)

History of the Millennium (So Far)
Author: Dave Barry
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
ISBN: 978-0-399-15437-9
During my childhood, Dave Barry was a humor columnist from Miami, Florida, who was syndicated to my hometown newspaper. Growing up, I never read any of his articles, because quite frankly, I was more than likely too young to understand the jokes.Well, during my most recent trip to the Parker Library, I was browsing through the adult books (nothing dirty intended!) and this was one of his two books that we (I was with my brother's family) managed to stumble across.

To say that the humor in this book is strange is a borderline understatement. Having previously finished Douglas Adams' 'Hitchhiker's Guide' series, I feel as though I can pick strange humor out of a line-up if suddenly prompted to. 

While the level of strangeness pertaining to the book is almost on par with 'Hitchhiker's,' the main difference in this book, which is a collection of 'end of the year' articles (along with some made up stories that fill the gap up to when his actual columns take place) is that the writing style is a lot easier to understand. It may also help that as I kept reading the book, I realized that the author's sense of humor is just as warped as mine is. 

Would I read this book again? Probably so. In fact, if memory serves, we also have another one of his books currently checked out from the Douglas County Library in Parker, which I will probably start on next. As I progressed in the book, I started to notice events that I remember quite vividly, starting in the early to mid 2000's, which would have put me in my early years of high school by the time the book ends (chronologically speaking--this book doesn't end in the present year). 

At any rate, I can confidently say that I would definitely and without hesitation, recommend this book to anyone, regardless of their sense of humor. The writing style is very easy to comprehend (much like Marley and Me) and if you're too young to remember some of the events that took place, it makes for a good history lesson as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment