Thursday, December 17, 2015

I'll Mature When I'm Dead: Amazing Tales of Adulthood

I'll Mature When I'm Dead:
Amazing Tales of Adulthood
Author: Dave Barry
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
ISBN: 978-0-399-15650-2
This is the second of Dave Barry's books that I have read thus far, and for the most part, it was pretty funny. The book covered multiple different stages of life that everyone goes though, albeit, with a humorous twist, as is the style of the author. 

To be perfectly honest, I am not completely sure how much of it I could empathize with, because I have not had similar life experiences yet (although I could probably relate to his younger group of friends he refers to when he is a new parent).

The book then goes on to describe other different stages of life, such as elementary school-level sports, gives a solution to pop-culture insanity, and even starts to get in to the later stages of life, such as weddings of his (the author's) children, and even some of the geriatric procedures, including the colonoscopy.

There are even some other ideas regarding his profession and writings for different pop culture references that were of the period when the article(s) in question were written. For the most part, the book as a whole is pretty solid. However, and I will admit this, there was a part that I started to read, but instead I got permission to completely skip over, which is known as 'Fangs of Endearment.' I do not know when the "multiple chapter article" was written, but I can only assume that it was written around the same time as at least the first Twilight movie, because the writing style is very similar to what I saw in the previews for said movie(s).

On the upside, however, the pop culture reference that I enjoyed immensely (and almost didn't catch it!) was the chapter entitled '24: The Ultimate Script.' Initially, I assumed that it meant Chapter 24 of the entire book. However, after reaching back into memory, it occurred to me that the author was referring to '24' (as in, the television show). Once I realized this, I was able to appreciate the humor in it and eventually finish the novel as well. 

All in all, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone. For the "Twi-hard" fan, there's 'Fangs of Endearment,' and for everyone else, I would read the rest of the book and skip that chapter. The colonoscopy chapter was especially hilarious, and I will probably recommend that one to my mother, assuming she hasn't already had one done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment